Vegetable Lasagna with Tuscan Tomato and Garlic Pasta Sauce
|Servings||Portion Size||Prep Time||Start to Finish Time||Preparation Rating|
|Measurement||Ingredient||Cut or specific|
|1 Jar (24.5 oz)||Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce|
|16 Each||Dry lasagna sheets|
|2 Tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1 Each||White onion||Finely chopped|
|1 ¼ Pounds||Tomatoes||Fresh chopped|
|1 ½ Pounds||Mushrooms||Combination of different varieties|
|2 Each||Garlic cloves||Finely chopped|
|½ Cup||Lemon juice||Fresh|
|1 Cup||Cheddar cheese||Grated|
|½ Cup||Parmesan cheese||Grated|
- Butter a large shallow rectangular baking dish about 9 X 11-inches.
- Heat olive oil in small sauté pan and sauté onion until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
- Slice mushrooms finely and heat 3 tablespoons of butter in sauté pan. When butter is bubbling, add mushrooms until they begin to exude their juice. Add garlic and lemon juice.
- Cook the mushroom mixture until nearly all the liquids have evaporated and the mushrooms are starting to brown. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and place a bowl of cold water near the stove.
- Drop in 3-4 of the lasagna sheets in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Remove the sheets from the pan and drop them in the cold water for about 30 seconds. Remove the sheets from the cold water and lay flat on a towel to dry. Continue with the remaining pasta.
- To assemble the lasagna, have all the elements at hand: the buttered baking dish, fillings, pasta, mix of the two cheeses together and Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce. Spread one large spoonful of Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce over the bottom of the dish. Arrange a layer of pasta in the dish, cutting it with a sharp knife so that it fits well. Cover the pasta with a thin layer or mushrooms, then one with Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce. Sprinkle with a little of the cheese mixture.
- Make another layer of pasta and spread with a thin layer of tomatoes, then spread with Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Repeat the layers in the same order, ending with a layer of pasta and Seeds of Change® Tuscan Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce. Do not make more than 6 layers. Use the pasta trimmings to patch any gaps in the pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Ingredient Substitutions: You can use any cheese combination you prefer -- organic cheddar and mozzarella for example.
Make Ahead Tips: Can prepare lasagna 2 days in advance and place in the oven as usual, except extend the cooking time 10 minutes longer.
Preparation Tips: If you use precooked pasta, you can omit step number 6.
Grow your own ingredients with these Seeds of Change® Certified Organic Seeds:
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Calories Per Serving||300|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|Total Fat||20g (31% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||10g (50% DV)|
|Cholesterol||50mg (17% DV)|
|Sodium||490mg (20% DV)|
|Total Carbohydrates||22g (7% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||3g (12% DV)|
|Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.|
This recipe is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and calcium, and a good source of fiber and iron.